Sunday, January 1, 2012

Birdsong & Great Expectations - New BBC Productions!

Birdsong is one of the best books I've ever read and it's finally being made into a movie! The female lead is Clémence Poésy (Fleur in the Harry Potter movies) and the male is Eddie Redmayne as Stephen Wraysford (I'm unfamiliar with him). It also features Matthew Goode who I saw in Imagine Me and You, a most excellent movie. The new Great Expectations production is directed by Mike Newell (another HP movie connection) and stars Ralph Fiennes as Magwitch, Helena Bonham Carter as Miss Havisham (I cannot wait to see her take on this character!), Robbie Coltrane as Mr. Jaggers, and Sally Hawkins as Mrs. Joe (she was Anne Elliott in the 2007 adaptation of Persuasion).

PBS' Masterpiece Theater will air both Birdsong and the new Great Expectations! I don't know about you, but I need something to look forward to. January is always difficult - there's a let down after the holidays and the new year looms large. There are indeed great expectations in January.

3 comments:

  1. These sound great! I really like Matthew Goode. He was really great in the adaptation of Brideshead Revisited, even though it deviated quite a bit from the book.

    I haven't read Birdsong, but maybe I'll have to do that since you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great news! I'm always impressed with the BBC productions. Birdsong is the highest Ranked BBC book that I still haven't read. I'm seriously getting to it this January!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kristi, Goode did a great job in Brideshead Revisited. I'm excited about both of these adaptations and I need to read Birdsong before it comes out.

    ReplyDelete