Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Started Early, Took My Dog

Just finished this book, Kate Atkinson's latest. She is my favorite contemporary author and an amazing plotter. I wound up with post-its all over the front cover - names, spouses, important details - just to keep the characters straight. Atkinson includes lots of narrative and I always feel as if I know her characters intimately... I can see, hear and almost smell them. She includes multitudes of sensory detail.

And she is wonderfully maddening. Just as soon as I think I've discovered a possible answer, the "clue" turns into a red herring. I just love it when that happens!

Now it's on to Swallows and Amazons.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to hear that you love Kate Atkinson. I have three of her books sitting on my bookshelf, but I haven't read anything by her yet. Now I'm really excited to pick them up. It's wonderful to find a good combination of an engaging story that is also well-written.

    ReplyDelete