Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Book Seven - Artemis Fowl - Part One

I knew nothing about this book when I picked it up. It happens to be YA fantasy and I'm all over those, so I'm enjoying it. But seriously, the guy's name is Artemis FOWL yet I didn't recognize the surname as a clue that either the book's subject is poultry or the surname is a homophone. I don't believe it's a spoiler to tell you that the latter is true in this case -- the prologue gives us that much information. This young man has some serious issues.

But don't we all? I mean, his parents did a number on him for sure, but then their parents probably did a number on them, too. Actually we know the grandparents and all the greats- had issues since we know about the foul generations of the Fowl family. I'm about halfway through and wondering how on earth (or where) it's going to end.

Lovely quote--
Yes, but that was five hundred years ago, and you were no spring bud then, not to put too fine a point on it.
Of course I can't read "Not to put too fine a point on it" without thinking about the fabulous TMBG song "Birdhouse in Your Soul." And it's particularly appropriate in this case since Artemis is ultra-nerdy. Because of that I really want to like him, but he'll have to overcome his Fowl nature by the end of the book.

By the way, the author's name is Eoin Colfer, with Eoin pronounced like "Owen." Lest you become impressed by my knowledge of Irish Gaelic, honesty compels me to report that I pronounced it in my head to sort of rhyme with "Eeyore" until my British linguist friend Matt told me it's Owen.

Internationally, phonics only goes so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment