Saturday, August 21, 2010

Book Five - The Thorn Birds - Part Two

I finished the book yesterday on the way home from a week-long business trip. There I was sitting on a plane and sobbing, using the tiny napkin under my Diet Coke to wipe away the tears.

There is so much to say about this book that it will take some time, and after being away for a week I have much catching up to do. But let me say that I was so wrong to think this book was about a Priest having an affair with a parishioner. When am I going to learn that a good book is never about simply one thing? A good book has layers just like an onion or a flaky biscuit. This one has many layers.

I'd read Colleen McCollough only once before, The Ladies Of Missalonghi. I also enjoyed that book and am now inclined to read more of her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment